Accidents involving elevators and escalators are more common than one might think, and they can lead to severe injuries or even fatalities. In these situations, it is crucial to determine who is liable for the accident and how to proceed with a personal injury claim. In this blog, we will discuss the various factors that contribute to elevator and escalator accidents, the parties that may be held liable, and the steps you should take if you or a loved one has been injured.
Common Causes of Elevator & Escalator Accidents
There are several factors that can contribute to elevator and escalator accidents in Oklahoma and nationwide, including:
- Mechanical failure: This can occur due to manufacturing defects, improper installation, or inadequate maintenance.
- Design flaws: In some cases, the design of the elevator or escalator may be inherently dangerous or not meet industry standards.
- Operator error: This can include failure to properly inspect or maintain the equipment, or failure to respond appropriately to an emergency situation.
Liable Parties in Escalator & Elevator Accidents
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, there may be multiple parties that can be held liable for your injuries. These may include:
- Property owners: Property owners have a duty to ensure that their premises are safe for visitors. This includes ensuring that elevators and escalators are in proper working order and that any hazards are addressed promptly.
- Manufacturers: If a defect in the design or manufacture of the elevator or escalator contributed to the accident, the manufacturer may be held liable.
- Maintenance companies: Companies responsible for maintaining and inspecting elevators and escalators may be held liable if their negligence led to the accident.
- Operators: In some cases, the operator of the elevator or escalator may be held liable for the accident, particularly if they failed to respond appropriately to an emergency situation.
It is important to note that in some cases, more than one party may be held liable for your injuries. In these situations, you may be able to recover damages from multiple sources.
Steps to Take After an Elevator or Escalator Accident in Tulsa, OK
If you or a loved one has been injured in an elevator or escalator accident in the Tulsa area, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention: Your health should be your top priority. Even if your injuries seem minor, it is crucial to seek medical attention as soon as possible, as some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photographs of the accident scene, including any visible damage to the elevator or escalator. This can be valuable evidence in your personal injury claim.
- Gather contact information: Obtain the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the contact information for the property owner and any maintenance companies involved.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: Navigating the complexities of elevator and escalator accident claims can be challenging, particularly when multiple parties may be liable for your injuries. A skilled Tulsa personal injury attorney can help you determine who is responsible for your injuries and work to help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
At Oxford Lehr, we understand the devastating impact that elevator and escalator accidents can have on victims and their families. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist with your elevator or escalator accident claim.